Florida Coastal & Coastal Upland Insects & Inverts
- Florida Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex badius)
- Gulf Coast Tick (Amblyomma maculatum)
- Lightning Whelk (Sinistrofulgur perversum)
- Love Bug (Plecia nearctica)
- Mangrove Buckeye (Junonia genoveva)
- Mangrove Tree Crab (Aratus pisonii)
- Red Imported Fire Ants (Solenopsis invicta)
- Spiny-backed Orb-Weaver (Gasteracantha cancriformis)
The urban legends on love bugs are irresistible, especially that they were genetically engineered at the University of Florida!
These native ants can keep the fire ants out of a habitat.
Notice the lightning whelk’s unique left-handed opening.
You can see these crabs on the mangrove trees, especially when paddling through mangrove tunnels it Lido Key.
These hang out among the mangroves and look very much like the common buckeye.